Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Collage work As within, so without

I am going to ramble on now about a thing that drives me stark raving mad.  Its a thing in myself, so noone's fault really, not even mine that I can see.  I have extreme trouble with things that are in harmonious in my environment, but only some of the time.  I see them sometimes, but not others.  I guess i see them more when things are either really going well, so they jar more, or really going all to Hell, so its one more thing.  To soothe my world along more agreeably to me, I like to, whenever practically or realistically possible, fix these things. House isn't perfectly clean and people are coming over, dim the lights and light some candles.  The annoying neighbor (even if in the next room) is playing an idiotic t.v.show with a laugh tract, play music so that it smooths over it.

One of my points of annoyance, for sometime really, is the art on tarot cards, and how rarely I like the art on ALL of the cards in a deck.  I might have even talked about this before, but the trick memory, you know how it is, so you get to hear it again.  Say The Gilded Tarot By Marchetti.  Very colorful, vibrant. I liked most of the cards, and the images would stand out from the darker background, just delightful to me.  Until, trouble in paradise, the Lovers Card.  A fully armored man is playful hoisting a semiclad woman up, presumably to then scootch her down his front for a snuggle.  The Woman has a Belly piercing!!! Armor, Belly piercing- this doesn't say romance to me, this says a quick trip to Urgent Care.  A reall Buzz kill for a romantic mood if ever I had to imagine one.  But I am not trying to be critical of an otherwise beautiful deck, and its not my only example...Wait, there's more.  Consider the World Spirit Tarot.  Linoleum print which looks like woodcut, dark and jewel tones.  Good so far.  People of lots of different colors and bodytypes living in peaceful kumbaya harmony.  Great.  I would like the tarot I choose to reflect the world I would prefer to have.  fine and Good.....Wait for it.... The Sun card.  Looks like a George W. Bush baby chariceture.   AARRRGGHHHH.  Bought the Wildwood Tarot, as i missed out on the Greenwood Tarot, and i don't have a couple of extra hundred dollars to spend for it now.  Made by the same author, different artist, the cards are named the same, the court cards are beautiful animals as intricate as an Audubon bird print.  The Major Arcana are majestic and imposing.  I bought it for the card images I could see on aeclectic tarot, I had learned my lesso from buying decks just based on their description or the cover of the box,,,And.... some of the minors have art that looks like it comes from a throwaway crowd scene in a comic book.... Sigh
So what I would really like is either many tarot decks printed by one publisher so that you can pick and choose your individual cards and print the deck with all the cards you want, or get better at collage, and just damn well make my own world, you know, like we do with magick :)


5 comments:

Kylara said...

I think that is an awesome idea (a print your own deck). I wonder how hard it would be to set up.....you could have banks of pictures, all cropped to certain dimensions, or even just a "must fit X by X size" and let people find their own pictures if they want. You could even have customized naming for people who prefer oracle decks to tarot. Though I also like the collage deck as well, that would be a fun project.

Wanderer said...

It's pretty easy to do this with photoshop.

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I love the pick-your-own-cards idea. In fact, I think it would be very popular! :-)

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

Better yet, have a make-your-own deck party, with some collage pictures already picked out, or plenty of fun creative choices, then everyone makes them, and possibly sends them out to get printed. Possible? Maybe.

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

Kylara: I like your online idea too.

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |