Sunday, October 7, 2012

My house lacking in Perfection, but Still Perfect

I love that I live with Fellow Experimenters ! I really don't know how the rest of the world gets along!  If I was forced to watch Jersey Shores, I think I might have to off myself!  Not that I live a Luddite existence, just that what people are wanting to sell for most tv, i have FAR better things to do!  So, with my fellow Housemates (Who am I kidding, they did most of the heavy lifting on this one)  we installed shelves in my bed-rooms walk in closet.  2 sets all around the perimeter above head height, and all down the back wall.  Bought plywood, had it cut by Lowes to approximate what we would need, hauled it home,  got them painted (that was me) and then fastening up supports to the walls, I now have a place to lay my vast fabric stash out where it can be seen and handy, without being annoying, or a hazard to walking.  This is pretty common at the Secret Lair, although the projects can vary widely.  Janos caulked all around the exterior windows, James refitted the derelict hot tub that was here when we got here with new PVC plumbing so it would work, some reloading goes on, lots of recycling, both the for money and the making things into other things variety, Why am I rambling on about how awesome we are?  Well, because we Are awesome, but that wasn't really the thing I wanted to get to.  I hear people often wondering enviously how come we are so talented, or them wishing they had people in their lives who could do these things or help them with these things.  The thing they might not have thought of, is while we wish we were, we are not Always triumphant, or talented, or even really having a clue.  The shelves we misscut, so had to cobble them together in spots from other pieces.  I trash about 1/4 of all fabric experiments.  If a dinner experiment goes awry, there is always pizza (though Dominos changed there delivery area so that we are no longer in it, but that's a different story).  Carpentry is reasonably forgiving.  My front porch is spattered with the paint of my shelves.  BUT I now have AWESOME shelves, the paint can be sanded off the deck, and pizza is a perfectly good reason to fail on purpose.  What we are is buoyant in our thinking, not concerned with perfection, and FEARLESS!  You can do this!! Tell me about your successes!! Let's cheer each other on! Lets mutually appreciate each other.

3 comments:

Kylara said...

Sometimes the best successes come from what looked like failure. Honestly, it's never a failure, because even when you end the day without what you set out to do, you LEARNED! The only way to never fail at something you set out to do is to not do anything (which in my book is it's own form of failure).

I actually find failure much more interesting. If I have a recipe to follow and it comes out perfectly with no hiccups along the way and tastes good...well that is great, but if I have a recipe to follow and by step 2 it looks nothing like the pictures and is starting to scare me, then I have to scramble to find a way to make it edible...so much more fun and interesting. As Jane said, we always have frozen stuff in the fridge or can go out if it comes out horrid.

Wanderer said...

I always liked the idea that success or failure were both learning experiences, the difference is the momentum they create.

Anonymous said...

You said the magic words! (Hot tub, in case you didn't know). When can I come visit?! And pizza = a good reason to fail - what a great idea! Pizza is also the go-to dinner in our house.

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |